Sunday, June 5, 2011

Autobiography Pt. 22


GT AT DC
Jack Kirby spoke to me. He told me that SUPER-POWERS was just too much work to do a monthly book, and there is no doubt in my mind that it took its toll on his health. The stress was enormous for both of us on the SUPER POWERS series. Kirby didn't have the energy, and I was working double-time to make sure it didn't show. Secret: In a couple of cases, the figure was so impossible to fix I went back and found a similar figure from some other Kirby comic and replaced the original with it. And I did so because the Kirby's and DC told me that I could do whatever I wanted with it. And believe me, I lobbied for the coloring, but Carl Gafford was Grand-Fathered in.
From the first series, and then "Creative" director Joe Orlando made it obvious to everyone that he didn't have a clue about what he was doing, all around the offices. E.C. Grand-Fathered in.
The splash page in one of the late books featured the Earth, rising over the Moon. I took great care in bringing Kirby's late vision and reality into something more harmonious.
When Orlando shoved a set of raw printers proofs in my direction I visibly started.
"What?" he said.
"You colored the water green, and the land blue.” He slightly smirked.
 "You're not one of those guys who always colors the sky blue, are you?"
I wasn't sure what that had to do with re-engineering the planet Earth with a sweep of his paintbrush.
And simmered disrespect at the though of somebody, not so smart, trying to re-engineer the visual view of the planet.
No wonder I ever wanted to make a living at Comics, having my attempted back broken by somebody who didn’t have a clue.
”When I want your opinion, I’ll tell you what to think.” Joe Orlando.
Poor assistant editor Mike Barr suffered under that.
No wonder I ran from the business, screaming, in the direction of the kinder paperback market.

No comments:

Post a Comment