Sunday, June 5, 2011

Autobiography Pt. 46


       I've been to every incarnation of the Marvel offices since 625 Madison, and ditto with DC's digs. This led to at least a nodding acquaintance with every editor from 1970 through 1988. Stan knew me by my first name, so did Carmine, Paul, and Jennette. So did Jim Warren.
       Many of my friends were in the comics community, and I was at the office a lot.  Sometimes I'd show up at DC, on Fridays, to take Julius Schwartz to lunch. I've seen both companies in almost every incarnation of their respective empires, good or bad. And for the most part, I don't think I wanted to be involved on a day-to-day basis.
       I was up at DC Comics working on something or other, in the production room making xerox copies, and chatting with Andy Helfer, my editor. The layout of the office was pretty much a single hallway, with offices with windows, and their step-children on the other side with none. Suddenly, a high-ranking official screams down the hallway, "Hey you! Yes you! You now hold the record for the poorest selling book this company ever put out!!!"
       Helfer looks at me and semi-whispers, "That series was put together at the top: writer, artist, and inker, and they handed it to her and said 'Make sure it gets to press on time.'"
       A week later, another high-ranking official corners me in the hall, and invites my to come aboard as an editor, as they have an opening. I was flattered, but declined the offer, much to the surprise of the HRO.
Still, it has always been my feeling that comics can do the storytelling job better than any other medium. A single creator can offer their own vision without intrusion from anyone. The exact story that their abilities can produce- pure creation. Beyond that the creator has total control of the world that they create. In comics you can pick the perfect cast, the perfect locales, the perfect lighting, the perfect camera angle, etc. It's a no-holds-barred situation that no other medium can boast.

No comments:

Post a Comment